[vc_row petapalozza_custom_class=”section-content-block”][vc_column][vc_column_text]

Frequently Asked Question

Here are some of the common questions about traveling to Mexico.

[/vc_column_text][vc_toggle title=”Do I need insurance in Mexico?” style=”round” color=”blue” css_animation=”fadeIn”]You must arrange a Mexican Insurance policy. Chubb Platinum is best. Mapfre is good too. If you have full-coverage on your bike in the USA and especially if it’s financed, get full coverage for Mexico. If you have an older bike or run liability only and are totally fine walking away from it if something happens, then get Liability Only. Make sure you have a printed copy with the bike along with it saved on your phone.

Please go to Mexican Insurance Store by clicking on the link below and purchase a policy for the duration of the trip[/vc_toggle][vc_toggle title=”Do I need a visa if I travel to Baja?” style=”round” color=”blue” css_animation=”fadeIn”]You legally need a Mexican Visa, aka: Tourist Card (FMM)
I have never had to show it but it is required to have one. Good news is, it’s free if you stay 7 days or less and cross by land.
Here are some facts:

  • The FMM is a document issued by Mexico’s INM (Instituto Nacional de Migración)
  • Casually called a tourist card or tourist “visa” although it is not officially a visa Issued to U.S., Canadian and other nationalities for vacation or visitor purposes.
  • Easily obtained at an INM office at the border or online. (If you get an FMM online, it is still required to stop at an INM office at the border for the official entry stamp).
  • Requires a valid passport or passport card. Please make sure you have one of them!
  • The stamped FMM is valid for land travel throughout Mexico
  • Cost as of June 2021, $594.00 Pesos (appx U.S. $30) per person;
    FREE if the trip is 7 days or less and you cross by land
  • May be issued for up to 30 days (not 180 day as they state on their website)

[/vc_toggle][vc_toggle title=”Do I need to buy Pesos before I enter Mexico?” style=”round” color=”blue” css_animation=”fadeIn”]We will stop right before the border crossing for a quick break and debriefing. Most places in Mexico only take cash. Exchange rate is usually somewhere around $20MX/$1USD and a typical drinking weekend in Ensenada may cost anywhere between $100-$200, depending on your alcohol tolerance. Here are your 3 options:

1. Exchange Dollars for Mexican Pesos at one of the CASA DE CAMBIOS (exchange house), before we cross the border when we stop for a break or after we cross into Mexico. Typically you get a slightly better rate in Mexico.

2. Exchange in Mexico, using your ATM card at a Bank. ATM has a pretty decent exchange rate, however, check with your bank on international surcharges etc.

3. Pay with dollars in Mexico. With this method, your exchange rate will be at the mercy of individual vendors. The deeper into Mexico one goes, the less welcome US currency is.[/vc_toggle][vc_toggle title=”Are Mexican traffic laws different?” style=”round” color=”blue” css_animation=”fadeIn”]It may seem unnecessary to discuss traffic laws and behavior in Mexico but THEY ARE different! In general, motorcyclists are respected and most drivers move over all the way to the shoulder and turn on their left signal to let you know it’s safe to pass. Truckers tend do that religiously so be deliberate and respect these written and unwritten laws. You see left blinker and two wheels on the shoulder, it’s a signal for you to go. GO!




This is a stop sign in Mexico. Full stop is required. However, the line to stop behind is not always there. In fact, I don’t remember ever seeing one so be very careful approaching an intersection because the stop signs


are not always visible but they’re there. Some of them even have a smaller sign below it that says “4 ALTOS” which is a four-way stop intersection. Alwasy approach intersections with care…can’t stress that enough!!!





The next thing to watch out for are street bumps called TOPES. They are particularely fun at border crossing and especially if they’re wet. Thes steel bumps are usually set in two rows which are definitely every motorcyclists’ favorite. Be confident and deliberate and carry some momentum

when you ride over them. Note: Hesitation will for sure meet with dirt naps so… time it, grab a bit of throttle and ride over them cautiously. DO NOT USE BRAKES ON TOP OF THE BUMPS!!! It’s a recipe to be united with the ground.[/vc_toggle][vc_toggle title=”Can I bring my gun to Mexico?” style=”round” color=”blue” css_animation=”fadeIn”]DO NOT BRING…. Guns, ammo, large knives, tasers, medical marijuana, flak jackets, and most importantly, a superior or a demeaning attitude. Unless you like Mexican jails…


Passport or better yet, if you have one, a passport card and possibly even a global traveler/SENTRI or any other trusted traveler programs. It’s much faster to cross back into US with a passport card along with those add-ons.
Your Original US Vehicle Registration –OR- Title. You DON’T need both.
Any Prescription Medications in its original bottle.
Pictures of all important documents including your Passport, Registration,
Vehicle Title (if you have it), Drivers license, and when you get them, Visa and TVIP.
Knowledge of a couple Spanish phrases. (Una cerveza mas, por favor.)
Great Attitude![/vc_toggle][/vc_column][/vc_row]